[Calico-users] Connecting Fluke on Linux

[Calico-users] Connecting Fluke on Linux

Doug Blank
Administrator
Subject: [Myro-users] Connecting Fluke on Linux
From:    "Douglas Harms" <[hidden email]>
Date:    Tue, October 9, 2012 3:38 pm

When connecting to a Fluke (and Fluke2) from Linux, the first attempt
often fails, but subsequent attempts work; this "hiccup" is well known,
though frustrating.  After some investigation I think I've found a
solution.  The problem seems to be that Modem Manager attempts to query
the Fluke by sending some AT commands to it (thinking it's a modem),
which causes the Fluke to freak out.  The solution is to tell Modem
Manager to back off and leave us alone.

My solution is to create a file named 85-mm-rfcomm.rules in
/etc/udev/rules.d that contains the following line (you probably have to
be root):

KERNEL=="rfcomm*", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1", ENV{ID_MM_CANDIDATE}=""

I've tested this on my system (Fedora 17) and a few others have tested
it on various Ubuntus and it seems to work.  I'd be interested to know
if it fails to solve the problem on any flavor of Linux.

I should point out that this disables Modem Manager from recognizing any
modem that happens to connect on a /dev/rfcomm* device.  If you have a
smart phone or some other bluetooth device that acts as a modem, then
this solution may not work well for you since it would also disable your
bluteooth modem.

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

--Doug

--
Douglas E. Harms, Ph.D.
Greenleaf Professor of Computer Science and Department Chair

Re: [Calico-users] Connecting Fluke on Linux

Jay Summet
FYI - Disabling modem manager completely works fine on Ubuntu 10.04.

However, the udev rule listed below does not solve the "first connect
bug" on 10.04. Perhaps the modem manager version installed with 10.04 is
old enough that it doesn't check for the:

ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"

Jay